Last night we went on a tour of the nicu and they talked to us about what we could expect IF Bennett is born now at 34 weeks. Except they talked as if he is for sure going to be..."when he comes here". First we got to see a 34 weeker and he was absolutely adorable. He was just a mini newborn who looked completely healthy and even had a good amount of fat on his bones. However, once the nurse started explaining what to expect I was really surprised at how intense it would still be to get to take him home. She even said to expect 6 weeks in the nicu and that 5 weeks is the norm. That is a lot longer stay than what I had been finding on google about 34 weekers. I also found out I would not be able to hold him right after he was born which also surprised me. So anyway, the tour was great because it gave me motivation to stay pregnant longer. Being born at 34 weeks is a big deal. Not the same as 23 weeks, but still. I will want to hold my baby more than two times a day and nurse him whenever I want, not be assigned to a schedule.
Don't get me wrong though, I am feeling so grateful to be this far along and whatever happens happens. My eyes were just opened to what the nicu would really be like.
My contractions have slowed down quite a bit. I am not feeling like he is coming right this moment anymore. Just some irritation. But I am still on the
Medicine. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!
Friday, July 20, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go for making it this long :) I'll pray he does stay in there for a little while longer. No time in the NICU sounds a lot better than even 5 weeks in the NICU. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteWay to go for making it this long :) I'll pray he does stay in there for a little while longer. No time in the NICU sounds a lot better than even 5 weeks in the NICU. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteHey Maija-Liisa! I am so sorry to hear about you in and out and back in the hospital. I just wanted to let you know that I had my second little girl at 34 weeks and she actually did really great. She was born at 5lb 7 oz. She had to have a feeding tube for a little over a week. We got to take her home after 10 days and now she will be a year on Saturday and you would never guess she was a NICU baby! It was hard having her in the NICU, I didn't get to hold her after she was born, but that was because I had a c-section. But my husband got to hold her for a little bit and we even got a picture! It was really hard not having the baby in my room after she was born too. I just wanted to let you know that some babies do really great born at 34 weeks. Just thought you needed to hear a happy success story after your tour of the NICU. We will be praying for you and your little family and hoping that you make it a lot longer! :)
ReplyDelete