We oficially have a baby with quite extreme colic. The past few days it was almost non-stop crying unless he was eating or sleeping WHILE I was holding him. Tuesday night both Jared and I were up ALL night, and this was after days and days of me being up all day with a crying baby constantly and getting up multiple times per night to feed him with about 1.5 hours of sleep in between. I started to think SOMETHING has to be wrong with this little boy. He is never happy. I googled like crazy and came to the conclusion that he has reflux. So yesterday we took him to the doctor. Well in case you didn't know... all babies have reflux. That is what spitting up is. It is very very rare for a baby to actually have the reflux disease which is dangerous for them. Bennett does not have that disease. He is growing like a weed and looks very healthy so the doctor just said, It is colic. He said the medicines for reflux like prevacid, etc. really don't start helping babies with "reflux" until about 4 weeks or so after they start taking them. Well.. in 4 weeks Bennett will be 2 months old which is when most babies outgrow colic naturally. So he gave us a few other natural remedies to try. The only one we hadn't tried yet is called colic calm. It is a BLACK liquid with a bunch of herbs and I have read good things about it. We have used it a couple times and it seems to help. It is hard to tell after just a day though if it is just a good day for Bennett or the Colic calm that is actually helping. I sure hope it is helping though because I don't know how 4 more weeks of this crying all day and being up all night is going to work if it doesn't. Right now I am extremely grateful for the perspective that Mason and Carter have given us. We are still able to be so grateful for this time in life even though it is definately trying. It is nothing compared to losing our babies, and that's all I have to think about when I think I can't do it anymore to give me that extra energy.
Ps. If you ever want to come hold a baby whjo may or may not be crying just let me know. I would be more than happy to let you so I can take a little nap :)
2 years ago
I am so sorry you guys aren't getting any sleep! I can't imagine how you function with so little sleep! Hang in there, hopefully things will get better soon! In the meantime, let me know if there is anything I can do to help!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds so horrible, but you have such a positive and great perspective about it! I wish I was closer so I could come help you out!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about that. I know having a crying little one is so hard. I hope it eases up for you guys soon. Poor little Bennet. With Olivia (she had colic as well...) I tried eliminating certain food (milk) and it seemed to help some. Milk seems to be really hard on little baby stomachs. I did notice a dramatic change close to 3 months and older. Goodluck to you. Pray, he is there and will help you! The other day Mitchell was screaming and screaming and I had no idea what to do. I was pretty upset cause it had been hours. Finally I left the room and prayed and came back and he had burped and had felt much better after that. Heaven is much closer than I realize sometimes :) Get some sleep, and ask for help!!! :) People are so willing.
ReplyDelete