Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cinnamon and Flowers




So this last Sunday Jared and I were craving something sweet after eating dinner, but we don't really have much sweet stuff just lying around. Jared mentioned cinnamon rolls and I couldn't get the idea out of my head all day. I kept trying to talk Jared into making me homemade cinnamon rolls, and eventually we came to a compromise. During the BYU fireside by elder Hales we would make them together! It mostly ended up being me who made the dough while Jared did dishes...which I was completely fine with :) While the dough was rising I asked Jared if he would finish them while I studied for me test the next day. He is such a sweet heart and he said Yes. Haha... Well I don't think I got much studying done while he finished them becasue I had to make sure he had put enough butter, etc. onto the rolls and keep answering questions. But, in the end Jared finished them all by himself and I was so proud of him! They turned out soo good! The recipe is my mom's and is pretty much amazing. They are so fluffy and soft. The only thing I would do different is to put cream cheese frosting on them, rather than the powdered sugar frosting which I think is kinda nasty (but we did not have any cream cheese sadly). I am going to put the recipe on here for everyone to have. It is so good and really not that hard to make.


1 cup scalded milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups flour (more if still sticky)
1 egg
1 tbsp yeast dissolved in 1/3 cup water (put a little sugar in there too)
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup mashed potatoes (I just use instant)


Mix. Let stand for 20 minutes. Knead 3-5 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes. Roll out into a rectangle that is about half inch thick. Put lots of butter all over it, cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll "hot dog style" as Jared called it. Cut into 1 inch rolls and put onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake immediately at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Yum yum!!


So this semester I am in a floral design class...which is probably the coolest class I have ever taken. I absolutely love it! Anyway, this week we made cube floral arrangements which I guess are really popular right now at weddings and stuff. So in class I bought the cutest pink cube and filled it with tons of pink and green flowers and I was really excited about how it turned out. The only problem though, was that I had to walk to my car after class and it was super windy. I was afraid the wind was going to blow away all the flowers, so the whole way to my car I had to keep shielding it from the huge gusts of wind. I felt like I was in Idaho ;) But I managed to make it safely to my car and all the way home without anything tragic happening to it. I posted a picture to show off my masterpiece!!


1 comment: