Thursday, April 11, 2013

Low Sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam

I have been craving homemade strawberry jam forever now, and have been talking about making it for years now it seems. I finally invited my friend to make it with me and we set a date. I knew that homemade jam has a TON of sugar in it normally, and with my husband being diabetic less sugar is always better. So I researched and saw there is a special kind of pectin you can get that allows you to use little to no sugar in your jam making! I bought my strawberries, Ball Realfruit Low or No-sugar needed pectin, and some containers and I was ready to go! Except, I had no recipe! The recipe that comes with the pectin is jam that you must can, or in other words, use a water bath and cook it forever. I don't have a water bath, and I really just wanted freezer jam! I looked online and struggled to find a recipe. I used the few different recipes I did find and kind of combined them into my own freezer jam recipe. It is so good! Perfectly sweet with a hint of tartness.

Low-sugar Strawberry Freezer Jam- makes about 64 oz. jam

6 cups of strawberries that have been hulled, stems removed, cut up and mashed (about 4 lbs berries to begin)

1 and 3/4 cups apple juice

5 TBSP Ball Realfruit Low or No-sugar needed pectin

1 cup sugar

Cut stems and hull washed berries. Slice into little pieces and mash with a potato masher until pieces are small enough to your liking. Mix sugar into the berries and let sit. While berries are sitting, mix apple juice and pectin into a pot and bring to a hard boil. Let boil for one minute while stirring continuously. Mix berries with pectin mixture and stir swiftly for one more minute. Scoop jam into containers. Let sit in refrigerator for a few hours and then transfer to freezer. Will last for about 1 year in the freezer and up to 3 weeks in the fridge.



No comments:

Post a Comment