Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ava has a surprise!


Today we got to see our sweet little baby and it finally made me excited. I am a little VERY worried to get excited about having a baby and having my hopes and dreams all come crashing down again. I feel very blessed and very happy that we were able to get pregnant again so quickly after we were “allowed” to try again. But boy, this pregnancy is stressing this mama out big time. EVERY little twinge becomes something that is going terribly wrong in my mind. And when I am in bed in the middle of the night my stomach is never quite big enough to convince me that my baby is actually still growing inside. I have had bad dreams, and MANY sleepless nights.

But back to today. I fell in love today. I have been trying so hard not to grow attached to this baby. I am 14 weeks along and our little one actually looked like an adorable little baby and now I am head over heels in love. This baby deserves to be loved by me just as much as I love Ava, Mason and Carter and finally today I am allowing myself to get my hopes up and trust that things will work out like they are supposed to.
I met with a high risk doctor today and we talked about what happened with Mason and Carter and what the plan will be with this baby. The lady I met with knows her stuff when it comes to preterm birth and I left feeling so educated and happy. She said that most likely what happened with our boys was a fluke. Most likely this baby has 90% chance of nothing similar to that happening at all. She mentioned something about the possibility of infection (because things changed so quickly and so early), or maybe even something wrong with the babies themselves that we didn’t know about maybe coming into play with the twins and she told me that there was absolutely nothing I did that caused it to happen. I have been told that many times before today, but today I actually believed it. She backed up her words with studies. That is way more convincing to me than just words alone. Preterm birth is a very complicated thing. All the normal things that I had convinced myself that I did wrong (being too active…) had nothing to do with my babies coming so early. Phew, what a weight lifted off my shoulders.

So I get to meet with perinatology every two weeks for now and they will check my cervix. If things start to change at all they will have me come in more often. I will get lots of pictures of my little one, and the huge relief that comes after seeing your baby on ultrasound looking healthy and kicking around. Jared was baffled at why I was happy about meeting with doctors so often. Haha, I think other pregnant ladies would understand the weird excitement that comes with meeting with your baby doctor. (Although I now convince myself they are not going to find a heartbeat before every appointment which is quite stressful) I also still get to meet with my OB for normal baby appointments. This will help relieve so much stress. The normal 4 week wait in between appointments is just way to long.

Anyway, I think it’s a boy, Ava is convinced it is a GIRL. We will see… and maybe we will tell when we find out. I am due August 29th. So let’s hope this baby and Ava’s birthdays are super close!

12 comments:

  1. I am SO over the top happy for you all! Best news I've heard for a LONG time. God is so incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news! I agree that the 4 week wait between appts is toooo long! I'm always counting down till the next one. You guys will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is very exciting news. :) Thank you for sharing with us. We will keep you in our prayers, that you won't feel stressed or worried and that everything will go perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you guys, congratulations!! Ava's going to be such a wonderful big sister. I think it's totally normal to feel anxious about the baby, and I'm so glad you'll be able to have frequent dr's appts, too. I've been wanting to have Ava over to play with Allie. Give me a few more weeks to get out of the newborn fog (ha, as if a few more weeks will make a difference!) and I'll get with you to have her come play and give you a break! You guys will be in our prayers. Yay, so thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a boy :) So excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!! That video is too cute! I'm SO glad to hear how the doctors appointment was such a good experience. We are SO excited for you, congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read this post I can completely relate! Before every appointment, or every ultrasound, I went in prepared to hear bad news. More than anything, it's just a defence mechinism, and guard I had to try to protect myself from getting hurt again. Trust me, this gets better the farther along your pregnancy gets, and as soon as you feel that little baby moving, it will bring so much more comfort and peace on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm still much more in tune and slightly paranoid about every little contraction, or pain, or anything out of the ordinary, but as this pregnancy has progressed, that too has gotten better. I
    m 33 weeks now, who would have guessed?! :)

    I'm so glad you have found a good doctor. That's made a huge difference for me this time! Each visit will bring you more peace and even more attachment to your little baby.

    Trust me, it's going to be long, but I'm sure you're feeling confident that with being watched closely that things will go better this time. Hang in there, and in the meantime, just try to not be too stressed (I know, much easier said than done!).

    We will keep you guys in our prayers, and we are so very excited for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Maija-Liisa! We are happy for you guys and your cute family. I need to see Ava in person again. She is so cute and has changed so much since I last saw her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been thinking about your and your family. I am so excited for you guys! What a blessing. I pray things will continue to go well for you and your new sweet baby. I am so glad you have such good doctors to take care of you. I hope you are feeling well and able to enjoy the sweetness of being pregnant. You're almost halfway there! :)
    I miss you! -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations that is GREAT news. You will be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited for you and your family. It sounds like you have an amazing doctor who will help every step of the way. We will keep your family in our prayers and I am so excited for you guys! I can't say it enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats MJ! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete